- There should be a clean clear surface with much disturbance below;
- An anagogical level;
- Sentences that can stand strikingly alone;
- An animal within to give its blessing;
- Interior voices which are or become wildly erratically exterior;
- Control throughout is absolutely necessary;
- The story's effect should transcend the naturalness and accessibility of its situation and language;
- A certain coldness is required in execution. It is not a form that gives itself to consolation but if consolation is offered it should come from an unexpected quarter.
A novel wants to befriend you, a short story almost never.
Very much like the first, and the third, sixth, and eighth. Have no idea what she means by the fourth.